ant-user mailing list archives

From "Res Pons" <pon...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Proper Property File
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 00:14:49 GMT
Antoine

Thank you for the quick response.  I wasn't sure whether I'm on the right
track or not.  So your response gives me a better sense of assurance.

Yes, as for my local .build.properties, it's not checked in under version
control and holds all the passwords.  Is there anyway to encrypt the
passwords for Ant?  How's everyone else doing this?

Thanks

----Original Message Follows----
From: Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de>
To: Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Proper Property File
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:01:37 -0400

Hello Res,

I think that you are doing the right thing. More exactly, I am not sure
that *the* best practice in this domain exist. As long as you have a
clear policy and you can explain it to all the stakeholders in
your development community, things are OK.

You mention ssh passwords. I have always thought that passwords for
automated scripts are a problem. Either you have these in a file which
is not under version-control, but then you can lose it and
the build is not reproducible.  Or  the file  is just sitting on the
file system at a location where only trusted person(s) can access it,
and it is fine for security, but not for the sake of being sure that the
build
can be setup elsewhere without difficulties. Sometimes, I think it is
quite "funny" when a script user has to "key in" passwords for 10s of
different systems (database servers, application servers, ssh, LDAP,
mainframe connectivity,
...) But it is like that.

Regards,

Antoine