ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No package found
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 16:23:07 GMT
Martin Gainty wrote:
> Good Evening from across the pond-
>
> As far as changing text strings I can see this as useful for language conversion and
going with locale specific Resource implementation
> but I cant see the benefit of that feature
> *unless you can put in something like a 'turbo switch' which will ignore package specifications*

I was thinking more of 'how do we replace an error message that nobody
without source access understands to one that is comprehensible'

> Cheers,
> Martin-
> addressed.  If you have received this email message in error, please notify

handlholding besides thats the implementor's job

>>I think the problem is the same as with javac, or java, its not enough
>>to hand off files to the tool, you need to hand of files in the right
>>package hierarchy. Ant tasks do have to know what params to send down to
>>javadoc, and if you look at those options its clearly a complex beast.
>>If you look at the command line options, it seems to want to know about
>>packages to exclude and subpackages too.
>>
>>i.e. javadoc command line takes
>>-a list of packages
>>-a list of files in the root folder
>>
>>Ant works backwards from directories with java files in (or package.html
>>files) to create a list of packages.
>>
>>so i'd conclude that yes, we do need to know about packages. A file
>>submitted as a self contained file will be assumed to be in the default
>>package, not in some sub package that is somehow guess.
>>

>>What could be done is to improve the error messages to make it clear
>>what is going on and provide hints as how to fix the build file. A URL
>>to a wiki entry would be one option, e.g.
>>
>>[info] skipping empty package, see
>>http://ant.apache.org/wiki/messages/javadoc#packages
>>

>>>So the same functionality that works for srcdir should work the SAME for sourcepath
except its not looking for a specific file its looking at the folder..