ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proper Property File
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 11:50:55 GMT
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Hello Res,
>
> I think that you are doing the right thing. More exactly, I am not sure
> that *the* best practice in this domain exist. As long as you have a
> clear policy and you can explain it to all the stakeholders in
> your development community, things are OK.
>
> You mention ssh passwords. I have always thought that passwords for
> automated scripts are a problem. Either you have these in a file which
> is not under version-control, but then you can lose it and
> the build is not reproducible.  Or  the file  is just sitting on the
> file system at a location where only trusted person(s) can access it,
> and it is fine for security, but not for the sake of being sure that the
> build
> can be setup elsewhere without difficulties. Sometimes, I think it is
> quite "funny" when a script user has to "key in" passwords for 10s of
> different systems (database servers, application servers, ssh, LDAP,
> mainframe connectivity,
> ...) But it is like that.

You can always keep the passwords on a USB key or some other movable
device, so they become available when plugged in, and move from device
to device.

I dont do that, but I do encrypt the bit of the filesystem they live in,
with an encryption key that is kept in the laptop's TPM.  No login, no data.