ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: Setting and debugging class paths
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 09:59:56 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>>> Why do you put libs in ANT_HOME/lib ?
>>> All classes there are added to Ants classpath by Ants launcher class.
>>> And only tasks and external libraries for tasks make little sence
> here.
>> Because the ant library folder is the obvious place to
>> put custom ant tasks.
>

> Ok, thats new - you are speaking from custom tasks :-)
>
> Other places are USER_HOME/.ant/lib or the directory you specify with
> "-lib" option.
>

> I would do
> - let ANT_HOME/lib as it is (its easier to update Ant....)
> - put ready build tasks into USER_HOME/.ant/lib
> - for the development of the task
>   see http://ant.apache.org/manual/tutorial-writing-tasks.html#complex
>   -- dont define anything
>   -- have a init target which <taskdef> the just build task and which is
> invoked
>      before targets using the new task.

I always taskdef my own tasks; you just need a property to say where
they are stored and you can
dynamically add them. Maybe you could even make a subdir under
${user.home}/ant just for your tasks,
and add them there in a build.

Given I use antlibs, it would be nice if there was an easy way to tell
the runtime to dynamically add all JARs to the ant classpath for antlib
ant1.8 timeframe.

-steve