ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: manifest file wrapping with ant jar or manifest task
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 10:23:32 GMT
Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Oops.  Mr. Stephen you are correct.
>
> Let me re write how the MANIFEST.MF inside the jar file looks like.
>
> Class-Path: commonscollections3.1.jar commons-lang.jar axis.jar anothe
> rverylong.jar reallycoolfile.jar
>
> Thanks for correcting me.

In that case Ant is working as expected. As the <jar> task says:
"Manifests are processed by the Jar task according to the Jar file
specification. Note in particular that this may result in manifest lines
greater than 72 bytes being wrapped and continued on the next line."

If Ant didnt break the line, it would be generating an illegal manifest.
Given that the majority of jar files on the planet are built using Ant,
that would not be a good thing to do.

Putting the fact that Ant fixes up your handwritten manifest aside, does
the fact that it corrects the line length break anything? If so, what?
Because if something cannot handle split lines, it is probably the
program at fault.

-steve