ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Asking for new feature: Self-Discovery of service to make Ant a real extensible system
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 21:34:02 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
 >> There's no discovery without that xmlns declaration, so ant boot times
 >> arent hit by a need to scan every JAR on the classpath.
 >

 > That's one reason, and a very valid one IMHO. Another is to have
 > things stay explicit in Ant as much as possible. I dispute your point
 > that auto-discovering of tasks is good for non-developers end users.
 > My own experience is that less Ant-savvy users don't know where the
 > non-core tasks are coming from, so can't find out the documentation
 > for them (when there's doc ;-).

Or more importantly, who to complain to when they have a support call.
It's easier to deny knowledge when the task is called <eclipse:compile>
or <weblogic:jspc>.

 > I've very much a proponent of using the AntLibs auto-magic
 > antlib:<package-name> Namespace URI, because it still forces an
 > explicit reference to access the tasks, which help in identifying
 > these tasks' origin, while being simple and short enough.

I've taken to declaring macros/presets in their own ns too. What is
confusing is if you declare them in someone else's namespace. There's
nothing to stop you doing that, but it confuses other people.

steve.