ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Asking for new feature: Self-Discovery of service to make Ant a real extensible system
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 14:20:29 GMT
> There's no discovery without that xmlns declaration, so ant boot times
> arent hit by a need to scan every JAR on the classpath.

That's one reason, and a very valid one IMHO. Another is to have
things stay explicit in Ant as much as possible. I dispute your point
that auto-discovering of tasks is good for non-developers end users.
My own experience is that less Ant-savvy users don't know where the
non-core tasks are coming from, so can't find out the documentation
for them (when there's doc ;-).

I've very much a proponent of using the AntLibs auto-magic
antlib:<package-name> Namespace URI, because it still forces an
explicit reference to access the tasks, which help in identifying
these tasks' origin, while being simple and short enough.

If auto-loading is ever implemented in Ant, I would want it to be OFF
by default, and be turned ON either by a command line switch or an
attribute in the top-level <project> element of the build file. --DD