ant-user mailing list archives

From "Row M, Vishal" <vishal-m....@hp.com>
Subject RE: Asking for new feature: Self-Discovery of service to make Ant a real extensible system
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:09:45 GMT
A good thought , its really a good feature

-----Original Message-----
From: Huxi LI [mailto:huxili@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 1:54 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Asking for new feature: Self-Discovery of service to make Ant a
real extensible system

**Hi everyone,

I would like to launch a discussion about implementation of
self-discovery feature in Ant.
The idea is that when users drop a jar in share directory, all custiom
tasks and datatypes should be discovered automatically by Ant. The same
is true when jars are removed from the share directory.

The advantage is that users do not need any more use Taskdef to declare
custom tasks. This makes Ant a highly extensible "plug-and-play" system.

Modern systems are becoming more
and more intelligent. I think Ant maybe do better.  The concept of
"plug-and-play" is not any more a vocaburary reserved for hardware
components; software is also advancing in this direction. An extensible
system should be able to "dynamically" discover available services and
have conflict detection and resolution capability.

A simple example of self-discovery is the "hot deployment" service
available in most J2EE application servers. The complexity of
implementation such a mechanism depends on many factors. Sometimes it is
not the complexity to implement self-discovery service; it is often
simple ignored by developers. For the Ant build system, it is fairly
easy to implement self-discovery feature.

Huxi LI