ant-user mailing list archives

From "Res Pons" <pon...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Build Strategy Question:
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:14:51 GMT
Thank you so much for the thorough response.  I'm currently using Anthill-OS
for automation simply because it's so simple to use and learn.  I read about
CruiseControl and Maven a while back and decided to go with Anthill.

I figured out CC but found Maven to have a much higher learning curve and
found both somewhat difficult to set up. Anthill gives allows me to use
dependecies too.  However, as I mentioned at this point all my projects are
pretty much independent and unaware of each other and they each build
independently and then a final master build file kicks in, only to do the
packaging.

My main question was: Is it a better approach for the master build file to
oversee the entire build operation for every project down to packaging or
does my current approach of building separately and then the master file
only do the final packaging?  Which is a better approach or industry
standard?

Thanks again.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Joe Schmetzer <joe@exubero.com>
To: Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Project Build Strategy Question:
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:39:14 +0100

Personally, I managed multi-project dependencies in Ant using the
technique described at http://www.exubero.com/ant/dependencies.html
(though any of the other tools are suitable solutions, as well).

Although CruiseControl can handle multiple projects, it doesn't
necessarily understand project dependencies very well (though you can
fake it with the CC <buildstatus> config element - see
http://cruisecontrol.sf.net/main/configxml.html#buildstatus )

Cheers,
Joe

Joe Schmetzer .:. Renaissance Developer .:. http://www.exubero.com/