ant-user mailing list archives

From "Russell, Archie" <archie_russ...@merck.com>
Subject RE: Advice on making a new task class
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:47:29 GMT

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:55 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Advice on making a new task class

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Archie Russell <archie_russell@merck.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Ant and would like to make a new task class.  The
> examples I've online found are good pretty basic, they show an
> "execute()" method that seems to be run under all circumstances.

You want to read
<http://ant.apache.org/manual/develop.html#writingowntask>.

> What is the typical route for accomplishing this with a new task
> class?  Do we build a check into the execute() method that looks
> around for remnants of the previous task completing succesfully?

Yes.

<javac> scans the source directories for .java files and the
destination directory for .class files and compares timestamps and
only goes to work after determining what to do.  All this happens
triggered by a call to execute.

Stefan

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck
& Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates
(which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.
 If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.