ant-user mailing list archives

From "Huxi LI" <>
Subject Re: Asking for new feature: Self-Discovery of service to make Ant a real extensible system
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:03:40 GMT
On 4/28/06, Steve Loughran <> wrote:
> Which is precisely why it is in Ant1.6. You add a new JAR to the system,
> all datatypes and tasks will be exported in a namespace of your choosing
> via an xmlns:mytasks="antlib:org.example.package" declaration.
> We deal with conflicts and resolution by requiring antlib libraries to
> be imported into separate namespaces, thus the act of declaring the
> namespace not only forces the loading of the new tasks, it gives you the
> separation
> -Steve

I know the existence of Antlib; anyway, thanks a lot for your detailed
But what I am talking about here is to completely mask the taskdef from
final user.
It is often not a problem for someone who know Ant well to use custom tasks.

The problem is that most Ant users are not developers of Ant tasks. They
download some optional tasks from the Internet and then try to apply them to
projects. Why should they know what is the task definition in order to use
All the final user should know is the tagName and its attributes, but not
other low-level
things. That is my concern.