ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dick, Brian E." <Brian.D...@FMR.com>
Subject RE: Parallel vs Sequential
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:16:15 GMT
I have used <parallel> to speed up a bunch of database server
operations. The work was really being done remotely and the client was
just waiting for status.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:ddevienne@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:37 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Parallel vs Sequential

Like already mentioned, <parallel> will *only* and *potentially* give
you a boost if you have a multi-CPUs machine, and/or a multi-disks
machine, and/or independent tasks, etc...

Don't expect much from <parallel> on a single CPU PC... Like Conor
already told you, it enables use cases impossible to do without
parallel.

I used <parallel> only once as an experiment to do several independent
<get>, and only got incremental speed-up (30% I think), but I was
hitting the same HTTP server for all <get>s, so the bottleneck might
have been that server.

Don't use <parallel> if you don't see any speedup. --DD