ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exception in Style
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:51:54 GMT
Ron Jeffries wrote:
> On Sunday, April 23, 2006, at 1:12:07 PM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> yeah. thats the sun deriviative of Xalan. you need a real one :)
>
>>> There /is/ a jar named ant-xalan1.jar under ANT_HOME, and I had the
>>> impression that Ant uses its own shipped XSL transformer, though it
>>> is a version of Xalan, I guess.
>
>> Ant ships xerces, but not XSL engine. ant-xalan1.jar is not xalan; it is
>> those .class files of ant that depend on xalan1,.
>
>>> Anyway, if I understand you, maybe I can find the xalan that is
>>> being used, download a new one, and ascertain whether the bug is
>>> fixed in the latest version. If not, I can then join the appropriate
>>> list and submit a bug report to the xalan team.
>
>> You are probably using the version of Xalan that came with Java. Get a
>> new version first -it may fix your problem immediately. if not, create a
>> good self-contained test case and report the bug against xalan.
>
> Hi Steve ... thanks for the follow-up. Based on what you and Antoine
> said, I started digging down to find a newer version of xalan,
> install it, hook it up as you guys suggested, testing my stuff again
> ... it feels like a rat-hole to me.

I'd get the latest Xalan release *anyway*, because the memory footprint
of java1.5's xsltc is steeper.

> A better man would take the hour or two it would require to do all
> that. My learning, teaching, and proselytizing go in other
> directions, and I think that's where my energy needs to be put.
> Right now, I think I'll stop where I am, with running code.

what, you dont test your build process? What about regression tests?

If you can tease out the problem we could always add it as part of Ant's
unit tests for <xslt>; that way we know which runtimes are more trouble...