ant-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Project Build Strategy Question:
Date Sat, 15 Apr 2006 03:04:46 GMT
Hello Res,

Ant is primarily a monoproject build tool.

You can look at :

   - creating your own custom system to manage dependencies using ant,
   - use Ivy [1] (referenced in the ant documentation under "External
Tools and Tasks" [2]
   - decide that ant itself should not manage multiproject dependencies
and use Maven [3]
   - use Gump [4] (which is a continuous integration/build tool) with a
model to define dependencies between projects

AFAIK Maven is a build tool which works for both developers and build
managers. It has a concept to store build artifacts in a repository
accessible via http.
I have never used Maven myself directly, I wonder whether it can do
recursive make. AFAIK it is primarily a mono project build tool (and
project management tool)
which uses among other things ant. Maven has a concept of project
descriptor.

You can even combine gump and maven. You can use gump as a tool to build
your complete stack of projects, and make gump invoke maven.

Gump and ant can also be combined.

In anycase, I would encourage you to use an existing framework to
describe what are the artifacts of your projects and what do they depend
upon.

Regards,

Antoine

[1] http://ivy.jayasoft.org/