ant-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject <apply> over multiple directories?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:32:21 GMT
Hi, folks.

I have a directory under which there are multiple nested directories,
sometimes containing a makefile.

At present, we handle these by calling <exec> on each one in turn.  This
uses around three lines of antfile for every makefile, and the number of
directories is steadily increasing.  The current system also has a flaw
that a developer may add a makefile to the compile section while
forgetting to add it to the clean section.

Today I discovered the <apply> task, and thought it might be the way out
of this predicament.  However, that task becomes useless very quickly.
The problem is that make needs to be run in the same directory as the
makefile.  The <apply> task allows me to specify a directory to run the
command, but as far as I can tell, I can't specify to run it in the same
directory as the file.

Obviously I can work around this by having some kind of master makefile
which calls all the makefiles under it, but then I still have to
manually add something to that file whenever I add new source.

Another option might be using ant-contrib's <cc> task, but I have found
some serious issues when trying to use that task with C++ code.

So, how do other people work around this limitation?

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd