ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 'java' task does not exit
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:37:01 GMT
John Sisson wrote:
> The spawn attribute runs my primary process without its console log
> being visible; now you have to run (via ant) a tail program and attach
> it to the process. I have done this but it is pretty inconvenient as
> there is a family of 20 or more processes run by my extended NxJava
> command each with its own property file of launch attributes.

well, that is the price of completely decoupling ant from its child
processes.

> These are
> deliverables at customer sites and the added complexity means it would
> be easier to revert to os-specific launch scripts.

Ant isnt really an application launch tool; its a build tool. Its over
complex for launching things, yet still has a fairly simplistic world
view (builds pass or fail) to be a workflow tool.

> It might be better to execute the OpenOffice instance from within my
> process via the os-command shell so that that spawns it or perhaps via
> Ant from java which I have not yet tried, but now I will.

I'd use python to launch stuff if I could. Getting .bat files to work
properly is a nightmare.

-steve