ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: <apply> over multiple directories?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:11:44 GMT
> I have a directory under which there are multiple nested directories,
> sometimes containing a makefile. [...]
> Today I discovered the <apply> task, and thought it might be the way out
> of this predicament.  However, that task becomes useless very quickly.
> The problem is that make needs to be run in the same directory as the
> makefile.  The <apply> task allows me to specify a directory to run the
> command, but as far as I can tell, I can't specify to run it in the same
> directory as the file.

 Ant-Contrib's <for> would probably allow you to do what you want. A
pure-Ant solution might also be possible with <subant> and the
genericbuildfile attribute, with a generic Makefile calling build file
that encapsulate the <exec> with a <dirname>.

> Another option might be using ant-contrib's <cc> task, but I have found
> some serious issues when trying to use that task with C++ code.

I've used <cc> extensively with C/C++/Fortran, and although there's a
learning curve to it, it's very good IMHO. Have you discussed your
issues on the Ant-Contrib list? But I'll grant you, going the <cc>
route is a significant investement. The dependency management is very
good though, and allows to do reliable incremental builds. --DD