ant-user mailing list archives

From "RADEMAKERS Tanguy" <Tanguy.RADEMAK...@swift.com>
Subject RE: regarding Ant
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:23:52 GMT
Hello Manas,

Ant is mainly used to automate processes related to developing java
software - so things like compiling, testing, deploying, etc. Think
about all of the things you do that do related to "development" (i.e.
not meetings - ant can't go to meetings for you yet) but don't involve
typing java code in your IDE. Some of these things are multi-step
processes that are tedious and error prone (the perfect example being
deploying your code to an application server: all that mindless
clicking!). Ant can be used to automate many of these things.

Look at the example build file in the outstanding ant docco (Using Ant
-> Writing a Simple Buildfile -> Example Buildfile) to see a really
simple example.

/t