ant-user mailing list archives

From <Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de>
Subject AW: Absolute path properties...
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:29:13 GMT
>I am working on a project that consists of multiple modules.
>Each module has an identical folder structure within it.
>Initially I started by having multiple build scripts (one for
>each module) but this was a little problematic because there
>are some dependancies between the modules. It seemed ugly to
>have one module's build script call another so I went looking
>for another solution. I found a best practice document that
>told me to lean towards using a single build script where
>possible. This made sense to me because if I had one master
>build script with targets to build each module then I could
>manage the dependancies with the ant target 'depends'.
>Dependancies would be intra-script rather than inter-script. I
>decided to adopt this approach.

I would try a build script in each module, <import>ing a standard buildfile.
And a master buildfile calling the different module-buildfiles.

So you´ll get a scenario like described in the last example of <subant>
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/subant.html
with the difference that the master buildfile uses <antcall> instead of <subant>

>As I began to build the script I created properties like this....
>
><property name="module1.src.dir" location="modules/module1/src/java"/>
><property name="module2.src.dir" location="modules/module2/src/java"/>

Would be defined as
  <property name="src.dir" location="src/java"/>
inside the common.xml.
Because the common file is <import>ed the location is resolved to the importing buildfile
location.

>But when you have properties for docs directorys, lib
>directorys, classes directorys etc etc and mutliply this by
>the number of modules it becomes difficult to management and
>feels like there should be a better solution.

no more duplicates in that approach ...

>I decided that
>it would be better to have something like this....
>
><property name="module1.dir" location="modules/module1"/>
><property name="module2.dir" location="modules/module2"/> .
>.
>.
><property name="src.dir"  location="src/java"/>
><property name="docs.dir" location="docs"/>
><property name="api.dir"  location="${docs.dir}/api"/>
>
>As the structures in each module are identical I assumed I
>would be able to refer to the module 2 src dir as
>"${module2.dir}/${src.dir}", but this doesnt work because both
>module2.dir and src.dir are resolved to absolute paths which
>messes up the combining of the paths.

Dont use "location" - use "value" instead.
See http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/property.html

>My initial solution was to use value rather than location. I
>can get this to work but then ant will no longer convert the
>path to one which can run on the current platform (by
>converting / to \ on windows).

Why it should?
If you really need a windows-specific path for calling an external application or writing
that to a file for an external tool, you could use <pathconvert> for that.

>Hopefully this is a little clearer. I would definately
>appreciate any suggestions. Assertions that I am a moron and
>coming about this in the completely wrong way will be less
>appreciated, but still graciously accepted :)

Dont expect that. Everyone has started at a low level ;-)

Jan