ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jscompress Javascript compression Task
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:49:01 GMT
> I would like to submit it to development, though it may not be
> Apache-quality code. It is well tested and stable, but is inefficient
> with files (reads and writes the same file once or twice, passes the
> file as a String through several regex-like loops, and bypasses most
> of the elegance in the copied Replace task). Any suggestions?

The Ant team seldom accepts such tasks anymore, not because they are
not of sufficient quality, but because they are not general purpose
enough, and also mostly because the maintenance of these tasks becomes
a burden to the team, especially when the original submitter
disappears from the Ant lists. The unwritten (that I know of) policy
has been going on for several months, and has been discussed before.
Ant has many such non-general purpose task, but they are "legacy" ;-)

What I suggest would be to package your task as an AntLib, available
from java.net or SourceForge or such publicly available URL, write a
Wiki entry about it, and finally submit a patch (cvs diff -u) to the
External Tasks page of the documentation. This way you get some
exposure to the Ant community for your task. Thanks, --DD