ant-user mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Real meaning of javac target/source attributes
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:55:09 GMT
> > There are other ways to accomplish this (and Ant itself makes use of
> > some of those techniques) but you can't rely on those being 100%
> > safe.
>
> Such as?  I'm really curious.

The usual tricks, like checking for the existence of a class known to be
introduced in a given JRE version, looking at various system properties,
etc.

I suppose you could say that those techniques are more about tolerating
different versions of the JRE at runtime because you still have to know in
advance what function was introduced when. They can be useful though,
especially in cases where you have a problem that can be solved in all JRE
versions, but can be solved better in later JRE versions because of new
APIs available in the later version.

--
Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care (carej@us.ibm.com)
IBM WebSphere Application Server Development