ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Property file - How to specify the "location" attribute
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 05:06:09 GMT
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Issam Aib <iaib@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> For example, suppose the current ${basedir} is equal to
> “c:\projectname\app” and I define this property in the build.xml
> (located at ${basedir} of course):

Minor nit: ${basedir} and the directory containing build.xml are
independent of each other.

> <property name="project.dir" location="${basedir}/.." />

is the same as <property name="project.dir" location="${basedir}/.." />
since all relative paths are relative to ${basedir}, Ant will take
care of them for you.

> This means that the property definitions in the property file are
> understood as a “value” attribute of a property definition and not
> a “location” attribute.

Most of the time this is no big deal since Ant will resolve the path
in many places when you actually use the property.  If you run into
problems with the properties use <xmlproperty> and semantic attributes
instead of a properties file.

Stefan