ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Property vs. user property - what's the difference?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:00:54 GMT
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Patrick Martin <> wrote:

> I am surprised to read that <available> can override properties. Is
> there a reason for it?

Matt got it almost right.

Up to Ant 1.3 (I think) the check whether a property existed was
inside of the <property> task and not inside the setProperty method.
This left task writers who wanted to keep properties immutable with
implementing this check themselves (<uptodate> for example).

Then setProperty was "fixed" and we broke <available>.

I don't recall whether we broke any Gump[1] builds.  In any case at
that point <available> had been known as a workaround if you really
wanted to modify properties.  This had been mentioned on the user list
multiple times so we knew we'd break a lot of build files with the
next release.  setNewProperty was introduced and available used that.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message