ant-user mailing list archives

From Vishal Vishnoi <vvish...@bea.com>
Subject Re: AntUnit tests need fully-qualified names
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:03:59 GMT
Vladimir Egorov wrote:

>Stefan, thanks for your reply. Yes, printing the build file makes things
>clear for an isolated run. But if you want to compare runs across
>various systems, you need a fully-qualified test name that does not
>depend on the system. The absolute path to build file depends on the
>system.
>
>In JUnit, the fully-qualified class name does not depend on the system.
>
>As AntUnit does great job so far mapping JUnit to Ant, it would be nice
>to have a mapping for the fully-qualified class name. Since Ant does not
>have a concept of classpath or package, one approach is using relative
>path to the build file, rather then absolute path.
>
>Say, my AntUnit file (the one that has test targets) is located at
>
>/local/path/to/antunittests/samples/Test.au.xml
>
>I am running AntUnit on it using
>
><antunit>
>  <fileset dir="/local/path/to/antunittests/">
>    <include name="**/*.au.xml"/>
>  </fileset>
></antunit>
>
>Then my build file is named "samples/Test.au.xml". This name does not
>depend on the system.

While the above does not depend on the system. If the user rearranges
directory structure the name of the tests change. While this is ok for
most of the users. In teams that have test repository (to see history of
test and trend over time), having an explicit name is important.

Thus, the above can be the default,  as it's simple and work for most
people. AntUnit should consider providing an attribute which make naming
a combination of project and target name. Here's an example

<antunit explicitnaming="true">

  <fileset dir="/local/path/to/antunittests/">
    <include name="**/*.au.xml"/>
  </fileset>
</antunit>

In a test file, we will have

<project name="tomcat.webapp">

    <target name="testPost">

</project>

In above, the fully qualified name of the test will be
tomcat.webapp.testPost

--Vishal