ant-user mailing list archives

From Marian Petras <Marian.Pet...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Support for JUnit 4?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:36:10 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Marian Petras <Marian.Petras@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know about the current status of Ant's support for
>> JUnit 4.
>
> The junit task currently only supports JUnit 3 style tests, this means
> you must wrap your JUnit 4 tests in a JUnit4TestAdapter in order to
> run them in Ant.  In order to change that, Ant would need a different
> test runner, or at least a different logic inside the test runner.
>
> If you go the JUnit4TestAdapter route all tests will have the same
> name (IMHO a flaw in JUnit4TestAdapter).  This has been pointed ot by
> Ben Maurer on the junit mailing list.  This renders the reports more
> or less useless.

That's what I want to solve. Thank you for the note on the possible flaw
in JUnit4TestAdapter. I will look at it as this is probably the biggest
issue at the moment. I wish fixing the adapter helps and no deep changes
are necessary.

> Beyond that we may need to extend the JUnitTestListener logic to
> record ignored tests as Steve says.
>
> I don't think anything else is needed, but may be wrong.  Ant
> certainly won't start to use JUnit 4 for its own tests, and we
> certainly won't drop JUnit 3 support anytime soon.

I did not expect you would "switch" to JUnit4. My idea was about
_adding_ support for JUnit 4.

>> Is it going to be implemented? In which version and when is the
>> version to be released?
>
> There aren't any concrete plans, yet.

Thank you for your answers. It allows me to make a step forward.

Marian