ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding Continous build integration.
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:24:17 GMT
Ferrer, Eric wrote:
> This topic brings up an interesting issue I am having and maybe the
> community has the answer.  I have a local build for tomcat and our
> development environment (properties files are the same, information to
> connect to our databases the same).  However, the problem lies with
> deploying to JBOSS our QA environment and our Websphere QA environment.
> The wars from the dev build after validated either get moved over and
> then the QA environment is talking to dev database, or after moving the
> war, the properties files are migrated over that point to test and the
> war is rebuilt.  (QA is out of my control)
>
> I feel there has to be a better way to deploy across application servers
> and/or at least be able to fun a build for dev, test, and prod that use
> the appropriate properties files for each environment in the war.

oh yes. but its complex, currently complex enough that only once you
have tens of machines do people bother to automate it.

the problem is really the difference in configuration between systems
stops you just moving things around.

-have a different properties file for each hostname,
-use LDAP to configure every cluster
-use smartfrog ( http://smartfrog.org/ ) to merge deployment and
configuration. (I'm part of this project)

Properties files just dont scale.

-steve