ant-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Hughes <mhug...@feith.com>
Subject Real meaning of javac target/source attributes
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:30:50 GMT
It was my understanding that the target/source attributes in the javac
task forced the compiled classes to be compatible with old versions.
What I also assumed was that it wouldn't let me compile something if I
was using an API that was newer than the 'target' attribute.  For
example, my <javac> task compiles code that contains the
java.lang.Boolean.parseBoolean(String s) method just fine -- even though
that method was introduced in Java 1.5 and I have my target and source
set to 1.2.

Is there any task or utility out there that will actually check to see
if I am using an incompatible API -- without me having to download and
install really old JDKs and compile with them?