ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: classpath and simultaneous builds
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:23:30 GMT
Harshal Chavda wrote:

> Hello ant fraternity,
>                   I am a beginner in ant(version -1.6.3) and have
> absolutely no knowledge of java(I can only write very simple java
> programas in java).Can anyone please tell me "what is classpath and
> how is it used"?
>
> I also wanted to know whether I can have simultaneous builds by using
> tasks other than the <parallel> task embedded in <antcall> task.

Harshal, You dont want to go there. Read ahead in your java books to the
bits on concurrency and multithreading and try and make sense of it.
Then note that ant is not really designed or tested for thread safety.

If you are learning Java, I would probably push you at an IDE as much as
Ant. While I'm glad that you want to use our tool, its best of learning
the basics of IDE-hosted dev and using JUnit for testing before worrying
too much about how to automate the build process.

-steve