ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Displaying the value in a Java class?
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:24:40 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Benson" <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: Displaying the value in a Java class?

> --- Rhino <rhino1@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> Here is my task again:
>>
>>  <antmenu title="Verify Employment History Format"
>>   stylesheet="${resume.xml.dir}\resume.style"
>>
>> image="${resume.xml.dir}\maximal.orange.129x30.jpg">
>>   <label>The current value of the
>> DESIRED_EMPLOYMENT_HISTORY_FORMAT constant
>> in the ResumeConstants class is:
>> ${DESIRED_EMPLOYMENT_HISTORY_FORMAT}.</label>
>>   <label>If that value is satisfactory, press the
>> Proceed button.</label>
>>   <label>If the value is wrong, press the Abort
>> button to stop the build.
>> Then, edit the value of the property in the
>> ResumeConstants.java class and
>> run the build again.</label>
>>   <link label="Proceed" target="jar"/>
>>   <link label="Abort" target="abort"/>
>>  </antmenu>
>>
>> I think the answer to your question is that I am
>> trying to display the
>> property via nested XML text, i.e. the label tag.
>> I'm not sure how to pass
>> that same value to the AntMenu task as an attribute.
>> And, if I did, how
>> would AntMenu know where to put the attribute, i.e
>> where to display the
>> sentence that I want?
>>
>> You can see the documentation for AntMenu at this
>> page:
>> http://antforms.sourceforge.net/usageam.html
>>

> Okay, having looked at this, including the source, 1)
> AntForms needs to have its BaseType class extend
> ProjectComponent and call
> getProject().replaceProperties(text) whenever text is
> added.  But that doesn't help you.  If you hate the
> text box the <label> tag creates anyway, why don't you
> bundle all the text you want into the title attribute
> of the <antmenu>?

Actually, I hate the textbox that 'input' gives you; 'antmenu' is just fine
except that it doesn't expand properties like
DESIRED_EMPLOYMENT_HISTORY_FORMAT (or ant.home for that matter).

> You can get line breaks with the
> property ${line.separator}.  A handy trick is to,
> early on, define a shorter property (I use "br"):
>
> <property name="br" value="${line.separator}" />
>
> Then you can do:
>
> <antmenu title="Verify Employment History
> Format${br}The current value of the
> DESIRED_EMPLOYMENT_HISTORY_FORMAT constant
> in the ResumeConstants class is:
> ${DESIRED_EMPLOYMENT_HISTORY_FORMAT}.${br}If that
> value is satisfactory, press the
> Proceed button.${br}If the value is wrong, press the
> Abort button to stop the build.${br}
> Then, edit the value of the property in the
> ResumeConstants.java class and
> run the build again."
> stylesheet="${resume.xml.dir}\resume.style"
> image="${resume.xml.dir}\maximal.orange.129x30.jpg">
>
>   <link label="Proceed" target="jar"/>
>   <link label="Abort" target="abort"/>
> </antmenu>
>
> something along those lines...

I tried doing the title along the lines you suggested and got a partial
success: 'title' successfully expands the property! Unfortunately, it also
displays title text in an inappropriately large font. But I think I can get
into the "style sheet" (a properties file that has similar affect to CSS)
for the antform and shrink it to a more reasonable size.

Your 'br' trick failed to work. I checked my typing very carefully but
'title' didn't put the line breaks where I asked for them. (The value in the
title attribute also appears as the dialog title and I got two small square
boxes where I'd put the 'br' property; the two square boxes didn't appear in
the 'title' portion of the menu proper.) I'm not sure why that failed but I
can live with this approach, especially if I can make the title font a bit
smaller.

That looks like the closest I am going to get for the time being; maybe next
year the AntForm folks will properly expand properties in the <label> tags
and/or observe 'line.separator' in the 'title' attribute. Or maybe 'input'
will be made so attractive that I'll start using it again. :-) But, in the
meantime, I suppose this will do. Not ideal but reasonably good for my
purpsoses.

> you might put the title
> in a file with a token defined where the variable part
> goes, then load that file into a property filtering in
> the property you've already set from your Java class,
> just to make your poor task invocation look a little
> more compact.

Oh, that's not a big concern for me but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

And THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for all your help with this! I knew there had
to be a more straightforward way to display that variable value when I
started this thread and you helped me find it and get it working to a
satisfactory level. I really appreciate all the time you gave me to help me
get this far. I owe you one :-)

--
Rhino