ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: text books on ant
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:00:22 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> We usually hype Erik and Steve's Java Development with
>> Ant from Manning: http://www.manning.com/books/hatcher
>
> which doesn't cover Ant 1.6, it was published very close to the
> release of 1.5.

code frozen on the day of the launch :)

>  As Steve has hinted several times now, a second
> edition that's going to cover Ant 1.7 is in the works.

yeah, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the update. The hard part is not
just updating the ant bits, but how the rest of the java world has
changed too. I have had to learn about EJB3 last week, for example.

> I'm not aware of any book that covers Ant 1.6, but there may be some.
> I'd check the "Resources" link at the Ant web site and read some of
> the stuff available online.

The O'Reilly book does cover Ant1.6, but it doesn't really look at the
new stuff, like <import>,<presetdef> and ant libs, and I don't remember
how much detail it goes in to writing tasks.

This slideset looks at what ant1.6/1.7 does, though there is an error in
my description of how import works :
http://people.apache.org/~stevel/slides/ant-1.7.pdf

Expect a new release of JDwA in the summer. If you are curious, all the
source for the examples is hosted (live) on sourceforge under
http://sf.net/projects/antbook

-steve