ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: text books on ant
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:55:39 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:
> We usually hype Erik and Steve's Java Development with
> Ant from Manning: http://www.manning.com/books/hatcher
> .
>
> Another good reference for learning how to write Ant
> tasks is Ant's own source code.  Learn more here:
> http://ant.apache.org/svn.html

The best details is probably ant's own codebase.

As and when I get around to updating those chapters on JDwA, I wont add
any more detail on writing new tasks, though I will add something on
using antunit: to test the things you've written. Writing new tasks is
not something we expect everyone to do, and its better to focus on
broadly relevant things like getting cruise control to work.

That said, I do plan a full chapter on extending ant through scripting,
as you can do a lot there now, enough that you dont always need to drop
to java.

Ant's source and developer mailing list are the best reference points
for task dev.

-steve