ant-user mailing list archives

From Ninju Bohra <ninju_bo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Unit test a build
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:54:10 GMT
I too created test cases for my build files (actually they are build files for testing my custom
tasks, but they are still build files).

I used the BuildFileTest class as the base class (that my JUnit classes extended from).  The
class provided some convience methods for reading the build.xml, initializing the project,
and accessing property and log output (very useful when verified build behavior).

The class is in the ant-testutil.jar and I have been successfully using with my ANT 1.6.2
install (not sure about anything newer).

I would highly encourge the using of build scripts for the testing of custom tasks...but I
never quite thought of "testing" a build script with unit tests (it seems a bit recursive
as you would need a build script to invoke the build you are testing...)

Good luck,

Ninju

----- Original Message ----
From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
To: user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 3:06:35 PM
Subject: Re: Unit test a build

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Clifton Craig <ccraig@gbg.com> wrote:

> Great idea. However, I'm a little lost. I have a source distribution
> of Ant-1.6.5

AntUnit is not part of Ant's source distribution, but a subproject on
its own right.  Check out
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/antlibs/antunit/trunk/>, there
even are docs 8-)

It is quite likely that it won't compile against Ant 1.6.5 since its
main developers so far haven't taken the time to even try anything
else but Ant's svn trunk version.  Anyway, give it a try.

Stefan