ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to use ANT as a command shell
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:44:43 GMT
Jeffrey E Care wrote:
> Ant is not intended to be used in this way. The fact that you can kind of
> hack it together to work should not be taken as encouragement to do so.
>
> You might want to read "Ant in Anger"
> (http://ant.apache.org/ant_in_anger.html) before setting yourself on this
> course.
>
> JEC

While I agree with everything in this doc, it shows the pent-up demand
for a decent command-line app launcher from Java, above and beyond the
classic "java -jar somejar args" technique.

If/when we refactor Ant's <exec>/<java> logic into a jakarta-commons
project (the maven people, amongst others), would like this, we could
have a special command line launcher that takes a manifest file and
automatically runs the program. Smartfrog can do this, but it is focused
on long-lived deployments, not command line stuff, and we believe that
all parameters should be encoded in deployment descriptors, preferably
under SCM. Here, for example is the descriptor to pull down and deploy
axis1.1's TCP monitor, using the maven2 library to allow dynamic
download. Did I mention that dynamic download of authenticated JAR files
should be a feature of the command line launcher ?

-steve

sfConfig extends Compound {

     library extends Maven2Library {
     }

     commons-logging extends JarArtifact {
         library LAZY PARENT:library;
         project "commons-logging";
         version "1.0.4";
         sha1 "f029a2aefe2b3e1517573c580f948caac31b1056";
         md5 "8a507817b28077e0478add944c64586a";
     }

     axis extends JarArtifact {
         library LAZY PARENT:library;
         project "axis";
         artifact "axis";
         version "1.1";
         sha1 "edd84c96eac48d4167bca4f45e7d36dcf36cf871";
     }

     tcpmonitor extends Java {
         classname "org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon";
         classpath [
             LAZY axis:absolutePath,
             LAZY commons-logging:absolutePath];
     }