ant-user mailing list archives

From "Lawrie Gallardo" <lawriegalla...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Example Ant 1.6 build files for project with multiple WAR and JAR modules?
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:17:05 GMT
Hi Steve,

>From: Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org>
>To: Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: Example Ant 1.6 build files for project with multiple WAR and
>JAR modules?
>Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:33:13 +0000
>
>Lawrie Gallardo wrote:
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>I have searched through the Apache projects, but none of them seem to do
>>anything like I am trying to do with Ant (i.e. project containing multiple
>>WAR and JAR modules awith common build file which the individual module's
>>build files import and override, plus a master build file that runs the
>>same target(s) for all build files), or else, like you say, they use
>>Maven.
>>
>>I am interested in using Maven in the future, and when Maven 2.0 is
>>released (not just Beta, with some of the plug-ins I need not available) I
>>think this might well be the way to go. However, for the moment I need to
>>stick with Ant, but I'm really struggling to find any examples - surely
>>somebody out there must have written Ant build files along the lines I've
>>mentioned???
>>
>>Regards,
>>Lawrie.
>>

><item type="gratuitous product placement" entry="1" >
>
>I will point you at the project I work on by day, smartfrog, and its
>evolving build process
>
>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/smartfrog/core/antbuild/doc/third_generation_build_process.sxw
>
>This is very bleeding edge, very complex. Its using the maven2 tasks to
>share artifacts between projects, and to pull stuff in from the net. It
>also uses ant1.7 import semantics (tuned since ant1.6), so some projects
>only build on Ant1.7 (and java1.5, that is a side issue).
>
></item>

I have tried working my way through the Smartfrog build files, but they are
slightly overwhelming to say the least. Something slightly less complex
would certainly be easier to get my head around...

><item type="gratuitous product placement" entry="2" >
>
>As and when I complete the second edition of Java development with Ant
>(yes, I am behind schedule), there will be some sample stuff that does it
>more simply. I havent written the target to zip up all the source tree to
>provide an example, but I could do that in the next couple of days if you'd
>like.
>
></item>

Thanks, Steve, that would be incredibly helpful if you could.

BTW I'm really looking forward to the book, so I hope you haven't got too
much left to do!

Cheers,
Lawrie.