ant-user mailing list archives

From "Brown, Carlton" <Carlton.Br...@BellSouth.com>
Subject RE: Subdirectory problem/always recompiles
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:58:20 GMT

I expected that Matt's situation would have worked for me, and I don't
see why it didn't.  Either I did it wrong, or somehow these techniques
are different in some subtle way.  Right now I'm happy with my solution
and later I'll come back and investigate what went wrong with the other
way.

> Now if you're up to the challenge, you should try to work with the
> developer to untangle the dependency knot you've discovered. Having
> separate source dirs implies independent components, or at least clean
> dependencies (i.e. a <javac> per dir can compile the source with no
> additional source dirs).

That's one of our goals.  In fact these subdirs were once all lumped
into the same directory, and this separation was the first step toward
refactoring.   When you're talking about some 3000 classes written by 50
developers over a period of 6 years, obviously it gets a bit tricky.  We
do plan to get to get this beast to an acyclic point in the next 18
months, though.

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful reply.

-Carlton

*****
and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 162