ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <Jon.Sk...@clearswift.com>
Subject RE: The good ol' JUnit problem
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:14:17 GMT
> This is a similar issue with the xalan classes in the 1.4 jdk.
> they're exposed directly by sun (and other jvm's) as org.apache.*.
> basically they just imported xalan and possibly other apache
> classes into the jvm.  this gives your entire application
> (jvm) one chance to override the version used by using the
> extensions folder.  not very good when you have multiple web
> applications that each need a specific version of xalan or
> what not.  i believe sun has fixed this issue in
> 1.5 jdk's with a method similar to what i did to get optional
> ant tasks work w/o modifying the target environment.

<snip>

Thanks - I'll bear it in mind as an option. I think for the moment it'll
be easier just to copy junit into place and accept that the very first
build on a clean system won't work (or will need to bootstrap itself
somehow).

> it's nice that ant provides tasks for things they can't or
> won't bundle with their distribution, but i would really like
> to see ant distributed at least with the same tasks able to
> be defined externally.  i'd be more than willing to help with
> this.  what i would envision is ant providing in addition to
> it's ant/lib folder, a ant/lib/external folder or perhaps an
> ant/external/lib folder that contains the same tasks in an
> external.org.apache name space.  this external lib folder
> would not be loaded by the default ant classloader, but would
> be available for users to include libs as
> needed.    i don't like much the <scp> .vs. <m_scp> issue, and it
> would be very nice if both taskdefs could define a <scp> or
> <junit> task w/o any collision.  i'm not sure how that would work.

I think if Ant provided a property for its "home" location (it doesn't
now, does it? I suppose ${env.ANT_HOME} works, but it's hardly neat),
that's all that would be required. Have the jar files somewhere they're
not loaded by default, and we could easily taskdef using a classpath
which included the right libraries.

Perhaps there should be multiple distributions, even - one "bundled" one
and one without any of the optional tasks. Obviously it's easy enough to
modify a distribution so that it doesn't have things, but for ease of
upgrade, being able to take a "stock" distribution is important.

Jon

Clearswift monitors, controls and protects all its messaging traffic in compliance with its
corporate email policy using Clearswift products.
Find out more about Clearswift, its solutions and services at http://www.clearswift.com

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information intended solely
for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which
it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action in reliance on it. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those
of the individual sender and not of Clearswift. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify Clearswift by emailing support@clearswift.com quoting the sender and
delete the message and any attached documents. Clearswift accepts no liability or responsibility
for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left the Clearswift domain.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for Content Security
threats, including computer viruses.