ant-user mailing list archives

From <hind.lwahh...@accenture.com>
Subject RE: delta build in ant.
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:29:28 GMT
Thanks Antoine,
I know it won't be easy and of the top of that not only my ant scripts deal with java builds
but also with non-java code...so it means that i have to dig into the deep behaviour of each
specific compiler to see what happens.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hind Lwahhabi.

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine Levy-Lambert [mailto:antoine@gmx.de]
Sent: Thu 11/3/2005 7:31 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: delta build in ant.

Hello,

delta builds are tricky.

the following factors can make a rebuild necessary :
1) changes in the build tools or environment (Operating System, JDK,
ant, external tasks used by your build, ...)
2) change in the APIs of the jars your projects are using,
3) change in the sources of the project being considered,

if you ignore points 1) and 2) and you keep on the file system the
classes of your project, ant and Sun  javac
will rebuild automatically the classes which have been changed. This is
enough if the changes are only changes in method implementations,
but it does not guarantee that classes using the changed APIs will be
rebuilt. Particularly, there is a loophole in the case of changed static
constants;
classes using the constants will not be recompiled.

You can take into account point 2) and all the changes in your sources
by using the <dependset/> task of ant.
In this case though, you will not really be doing a delta build, but
rebuilding a whole project when one of the sources of the project
or one of the jars in the compilation classpath has changed.

Hopes this helps,

Antoine