ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apply task trouble for command using < and >
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:13:37 GMT
> I have the following command line (see [1] for jsmin):
>  jsmin < bigfile.js > smallfile.js "prefix file with this comment"
>
> To do this for an entire directory I created this task:
> <target name="jsmin">
>  <apply executable="jsmin.exe" failonerror="true" dest="${dir.out}">
>    <arg value=" &lt; "/>
>    <srcfile/>
>    <arg value=" &gt; "/>
>    <targetfile/>
>    <arg value="${comment}"/>
>    <fileset dir="${dir.in}" includes="*.js"/>
>    <mapper type="identity"/>
>  </apply>
> </target>
>
> My suspicion is that the problem may be caused by the "<" and ">"
> characters in the command line.  Could it be that they are ignored?

I've never used <redirector> yet either ;-)

The redirection "operators" you are using are not interpreted by the
jsmin.exe command, but by the shell that invokes the command; the
shell hooks bigfile.js to stdin and smallfile.js to stdout for the
executed command (jsmin.exe). Here, your <apply> calls directly
jsmin.exe, and bypasses the shell, so it doesn't work.

See http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#shell-redirect-2 for details.

Using <redirector> would probably make your script more portable, but
I can't help you there. --DD