ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subdirectory problem/always recompiles
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:07:10 GMT
> Dominique Devienne wrote:
> >>I've been though a similar exercise with 50 developer separated over 9
> >>countries contributing code over a period of just under 4 years.  The final
> >>result fell out into over 200 separate projects - each with specific build,
> >>runtime and test dependencies.
> >
> > Whoa, that's impressive! And I thought untangling 5000 classes in a
> > single project was a tough one... We only had 3 sites in a single
> > country.
>
> you two scare me. What on earth are you writing that is so big? How do
> you test it?

Complex technical applications, using geological, geophysical, and
well information. These are normally written in C++, but this
particular company took the unconventional turn to start developing
them in Java. As a colleague put it, they may be developing the
world's largest (fat) client apps in Java, beyond charted territory
;-)

>From the cross-project cross-linked Javadocs run I was doing, there
was 35 macro components totalling 15K+ Java files, and that's not even
counting all apps not under my control/reach. And that's just the Java
tip of the iceberg: under that are tons of native C/C++/Fortran code
accessed thru JNI! Truly monstrous Java apps ;-)

The directory where I generated all the Javadocs with HTML'ized
sources was over 1GB. Who can claim having built more Java code? ;-)
--DD

PS: Yes, testing's a challenge. A lot of code is UI related, and only
tested in the full app, with some homegrown automation on top of the
Robot class. Unit and integration tests running in JUnit exists, and
some project/teams are better at it than others. I was always pushing
for more tests for sure. BTW, the source file count above is for
production code, excluding tests and examples.