ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject RE: Subdirectory problem/always recompiles
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:51:16 GMT

I've been though a similar exercise with 50 developer separated over 9
countries contributing code over a period of just under 4 years.  The final
result fell out into over 200 separate projects - each with specific build,
runtime and test dependencies.

Some of the lessons learn from the process:

  1. a strict file structure per project is invaluable
  2. centralize version and dependency information away from
     the logic related to build mechanics
  3. try and centralize properties away from projects
  4. put in place a modularization strategy that groups projects
     together - that preferably captures property inheritance
     and build strategy independently of the build mechanisms
  5. make extreme efforts to eliminate information in a build
     file - preferable to the point where a build file is not
     even required (i.e. the build.xml only contains information
     that is 100% specific to the project)

Cheers, Steve.

mailto:mcconnell@osm.net