ant-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Rich" <b...@wilandra.com>
Subject RE: Specifiying user properties file
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2005 01:05:04 GMT
Ahh, but is even better to take advantage of the fact that properties are
immutable.

For example, I have a file called user.properties that contains some default
property settings. If the user does not want to use them then she just
specifies a user name on the command line and the user.properties file is
not loaded, instead a tailored user properties file is loaded. Because the
property is immutable the value assigned to the property USER will either
come from the command line or from the declaration in the build file.

<property name="USER" value="user"/>
  <echo message="Loading${USER}.properties."/>
  <property file="${USER}.properties"/>

To specify a user name on the command line use -DUSER=br.

HTH Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark McKay [mailto:mark@kitfox.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2005 4:43 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Specifiying user properties file

I'm trying to set up a situation where my users can specify a properties
file where they can set properties specific to their machines.  I have my
main build.xml file checked into my CVS repostiory, and a default.properties
file that is also in the CVS repository.  I'd like the init task of my ant
script to check if a file called user.properties exists, and if so to load
properties from that file.  Otherwise, I'd like it to load properties fron
the default.properties file.

Is there a way to do this (or something similar)?  Ant's lack of an <if>
task makes setting up something like this difficult.

Mark McKay