ant-user mailing list archives

From Sethu Prasad G <g_sethupra...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: help to convert makefile to build.xml
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 03:00:19 GMT
Hi Steve,

Actually I conveyed  the same to my team, but am helpless,,

its ok,

Before thinking of Ant,

How to know the functional details of all makefiles in a project without going for any realtime
build -- like the available variables, includes, dependencies, etc,,

Is there any visual tools available for Make to have the graphical view of one or all the
files involved in the project along with resolution of dependency check and the like.

Sethu.

Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote: Sethu Prasad G wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I understand your valuable points,,
>
> This working project itself is a migration kind of doing,, already the product uses the
make only,,

> The proposal is -- at the time of migrating the product to a recent version of servers
( ex : J2EE, LDAP, Database etc,, ) we want to do the same for build process also but with
Ant,, bcos the clients are compelling on that issue,,

that's too big a migration all in one go. you are going to be doomed and
never be able to track down the problem.

start with baby steps, learn ant, apply to a child project. Get ant
working then migrate to the servers, or migrate the servers and move to
ant. dont try both at the same time.