ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <>
Subject Re: A newbie question: how not to do anything
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:35:49 GMT
--- "Marc H. Graham" <> wrote:

> Most make systems I'm familiar with have a "don't do
> it; just tell me
> what you would do if you were going to do anything."
> This is a really
> useful service when you're debugging a script, just
> to see if you've got
> the logic/parameters right. I can't find that in
> Ant. A serious
> drawback, I think. Any workarounds?

One technique I use is to use <preset|macro|scriptdef>
internally to your build file.  You can set these
conditionally depending on what "mode" you are running
in, but this is only useful up to a point, mostly for
fairly atomic operations.  This technique could become
exponentially difficult with each subsequent "task".

> Marc H. Graham
> Sr. Director, Technology
> SS&C Technologies
> 412 421 9407