ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: A newbie question: how not to do anything
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:35:49 GMT
--- "Marc H. Graham" <drdad@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Most make systems I'm familiar with have a "don't do
> it; just tell me
> what you would do if you were going to do anything."
> This is a really
> useful service when you're debugging a script, just
> to see if you've got
> the logic/parameters right. I can't find that in
> Ant. A serious
> drawback, I think. Any workarounds?

One technique I use is to use <preset|macro|scriptdef>
internally to your build file.  You can set these
conditionally depending on what "mode" you are running
in, but this is only useful up to a point, mostly for
fairly atomic operations.  This technique could become
exponentially difficult with each subsequent "task".

FWIW,
Matt