ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ed Moon" <em...@lowermybills.com>
Subject RE: Size of zip file
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:58:31 GMT
Here's how to use cat to put a file back together again:
	cat part1 part2 part3 part4 > wholefile

Or
	cat part1 > wholefile
	cat part2 >> wholefile
	cat part3 >> wholefile
	cat part4 >> wholefile

cat outputs to standard out. You need to use '>' or '>>' to redirect to
a file.

'>' will overwrite the file if it already exists. Otherwise it creates
the file.
'>>' will append to the file if it already exists. Otherwise it creates
the file.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhino [mailto:rhino1@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:47 AM
To: Ant Users List; Bill Rich
Subject: Re: Size of zip file

I don't use Linux a lot but I was curious about this issue and found
some online man pages that described 'split' and it definitely looks
like the command to use to slice and dice a file into smaller pieces.

Unfortunately, they don't identify the command that merges the smaller
files together again! [I'll spare you my standard rant about glaring
deficiencies in man pages].

However, the "see also" section of the man page for 'split' says that
the full documentation is maintained as a Texinfo manual and that 'info
split' should give you more. Maybe it even tells you what command
'unsplits' the smaller files back into a single larger file.

I had a look at some of the other commands that were listed for Linux
and saw both a 'merge' and a 'join' which looked promising but the
articles made it clear that they were no going to put the split files
back together again. There are roughly a gazillion different linux
commands in this list and I don't have time to read all the articles to
see which one is the right command so I'll leave you to find that on
your own :-)

Rhino