ant-user mailing list archives

From Tim Meals <...@codeknox.com>
Subject Re: How can ant detect it is running on a 64 bit machine?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 03:03:18 GMT
Patrick --

Although it's not cross-platform, you could get the value of 'uname
-m'.  On my Gentoo P4 laptop, it's i686 whereas System.getProperty(
"os.arch" ) gives i386.  Same discrepancies for an Intel EM64T -- uname
-m gives x86_64, os.arch is amd64.  Then again, I'm using an IBM amd64
JVM on that machine.

My guess is the 64-bit Intel machine you're running on is using a 32-bit
JVM.  So, Java will only really return the architecture of the _JVM_,
which isn't really the OS.  Is a bit of a misnomer on Sun's part.
Perhaps they should've called the system property jvm.arch.

Best of luck,
Tim Meals
Applications Developer