ant-user mailing list archives

From <duvelbier-tsm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: invoking the logger in the constructor
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:53:34 GMT

The reason seem to be (but I haven't been able to confirm as I have been busy in other matters)
that the Task has a default constructor (that I use). To use the 'log()' method, I'd need
invoke a constructor with the node name I want to use.
Smthg like :

<snip>
class MyTask extends Task
{
  public MyTask()
  {
    super("com.cpy_name.pckg.MyTask");
  }

}
</snip>

If that is the case, the constructor could use the following definition :
logger = Logger.getLogger(this.getClass());

\T,

--- Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

> Thomas SMETS wrote:
> > dear,
> > I create a simple task as indicated in the ANT book : "Ant: The Definitive Guide",
Second
> Edition
> > from O'Reilly. Something like
> >
> > import java.io.IOException;
> > import org.apache.tools.ant.Task;
> > import org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute;
> > import org.apache.tools.ant.types.Commandline;
> >
> > public class MyCustomTask extends Task
> > {
> >     public MyCustomTask ()
> >     {
> >          System.out.println("Instanciated");
> >     }
> >
> >     public void init()
> >     {
> >         System.out.println("initialized");
> >     }
> >
> >     public void execute()
> >     {
> >         System.out.println("executed");
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > The funny thing is that the init seems to be called twice ... ANT-version is either
1.6.2 &
> 1.6.5
> > and invoking the log-methode in the constructor throws a NullPOinterException. Any
idea about
> > those ... ?
>
> I think the double-init was a regression in ant that will be fixed in
> the next release.
>
> regarding the exception in the constructor; send a stack trace.
>

> Ant tasks normally use the log() operations, with different levels of
> verbosity
>
> log("your files have been deleted",Project.MSG_VERBOSE);
> log("unstable condition in the antimatter core",Project.MSG_ERROR);

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.
                                                   Martin Fowler
T. : +32 (0)2 742 05 94
M. : +32 (0)497 44 68 12
@  : duvelbier-tsmets@yahoo.com