ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Size of zip file
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:47:27 GMT
I don't use Linux a lot but I was curious about this issue and found some
online man pages that described 'split' and it definitely looks like the
command to use to slice and dice a file into smaller pieces.

Unfortunately, they don't identify the command that merges the smaller files
together again! [I'll spare you my standard rant about glaring deficiencies
in man pages].

However, the "see also" section of the man page for 'split' says that the
full documentation is maintained as a Texinfo manual and that 'info split'
should give you more. Maybe it even tells you what command 'unsplits' the
smaller files back into a single larger file.

I had a look at some of the other commands that were listed for Linux and
saw both a 'merge' and a 'join' which looked promising but the articles made
it clear that they were no going to put the split files back together again.
There are roughly a gazillion different linux commands in this list and I
don't have time to read all the articles to see which one is the right
command so I'll leave you to find that on your own :-)

Rhino