ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Reilly <peterrei...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ant 1.6.5, bsf 2.3.0, rhino 1.6R2 RC2
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:53:26 GMT
Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm hitting walls trying to use script tasks with javascript.
>
>Software:
>
>* FreeBSD-5.4-RELEASE-p6 i386
>* (compiled) native Sun JDK SE 1.4.2_8 FreeBSD patch level 7
>* (binary) Apache Ant 1.6.5
>* (binary) Apache BSF 2.3.0
>* (binary) Mozilla Rhino 1.6 R2 RC2,
>
>I'm seeing these two errors when I try to use javascript scripts:
>
>java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.mozilla.javascript.Context.getDebuggableEngine()Lorg/mozilla/javascript/debug/DebuggableEngine;
>
>Looks like I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten this to work:
>
>http://www.intellij.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BsfConsole
>
>http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html says:
>
>"If you use Apache BSF 2.3.0-rc1, you must use rhino 1.5R3 - later
>versions of BSF work with 1.5R4 as well."
>
>but http://java2.5341.com/msg/81816.html suggests that 1.5R4 cannot
>work with 2.3.0 because Rhino dropped the Context.getDebuggableEngine
>method between R3 and R4, and, as it turns out, that's precisely the
>case: http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/rhino15R4-debugger.html
>
>The text on the Ant install.html page is thus misleading: BSF 2.3.0
>(which is later than 2.3.0-RC1) does not work with Rhino 1.5R4 or newer.

The bsf site is a bit misleading, there is no 2.3.0 release, the bsf-2.3
tar file comes
from a 2.3,0 rc1 directory. Work on apache bsf seems to have paused a
long time
ago.

Ant will most likely support the jdk 1.6 javax.script api soon, allowing use
of the inbuild rhino and (for 1.7) inbuilt beanshell and any scripting
language
that supports javax.script.

Peter