ant-user mailing list archives

From "Burgess, Benjamin" <BBurg...@tiaa-cref.org>
Subject RE: Ant dependencies task
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:12:16 GMT
A series of antcalls is not an alternative to using the depends
attribute.  These are 2 different things.  The depends attribute is used
to determine the order in which targets should run within a project.  An
antcall is used to create a new project that uses the same build file.
A new project object is setup in memory when using antcall.

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:fzlists@omnytex.com]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 2:54 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Ant dependencies task

Does anyone have any experience with this add-on?

http://www.httpunit.org/doc/dependencies.html

It works great for me, but one problem I have is that my build scripts
usually have a single "build" target with a bunch of antcalls to other
targets in it.  I have the following target which is executed first:

<target name="get_dependencies">
  <typedef classpath="${basedir}/ant-dependencies.jar"
   resource="dependencies.properties" />
     <dependencies pathId="compiletime_classpath" verbose="true">
     <dependency group="servletapi" version="2.3" />
     <dependency group="checkstyle" version="3.4" />
     <dependency group="antlr" version="2.7.5" />
     <dependency group="regexp" version="1.3" />
    </dependencies>
</target>

However, the problem I'm encountering is that the compiletime_classpath
property is not available outside this target.  HOWEVER, if instead of a
series of antcalls I instead have my build target like so:

<target name="build"
depends="get_dependencies,compile,make_javadocs,checkstyle,cleanup" />

Then it works, the property is available to all the other targets.  I
have
also tried having all the antcalls EXCEPT the one to get_dependencies
and
instead made that a depends entry for the build target, but that didn't
work either.

Anyone have any ideas?  There is obviously some subtle thing going on
with
properties and scoping or some such, but I don't know what it is.  FYI,
the reason I'd prefer to do the antcalls is that I have like 15 targets
that get called, and having a big comma-sepated lists in the depends
attribute is kind of unwieldly.  Thanks!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

TIAA-CREF