ant-user mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Mitchell <...@imail.kwcorp.com>
Subject Recursive ant builds
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:56:49 GMT
I have developed a build system architecture which uses one common,
generic build.xml file to build each module in the project.  This build
file can then recursively call itself with a different basedir to build
modules upon which the current module depends (dependencies are
configured in a per-module properties file).

I would love to be able to use the ant or subant task to accomplish this
recursion, but I get the error "subant task calling a target that
depends on its parent target 'deploy-deps'."  I understand why I get
this, but, frankly, it makes no sense, since the sub task is called with
a different base directory, and, consequently, is a completely
independent build.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this simply a
usage that was not planned for?

Incidentally, I have accomplished had I wanted by simply running ant in
a java task to perform the recursive builds.  It just seems like it
would be more efficient not to launch a new jvm for every sub-build.  :-)
---